Friday, February 10, 2012

What to Wear? | Wardrobe Tips for Spring Portraits

"Help! What do I wear to my session?"

This is one of the most frequent questions I get when planning a session with a client, and rightly so! Knowing that results of your portrait sessions will most likely be distributed to friends and family through prints, holiday cards, and even Facebook, you want to look your best. Since wardrobe choice is such a large part of looking your best on the day of your session, I thought I'd write a post to shed some light on the subject. I'm tackling spring wardrobes in this post, but you can apply the basic guidelines to any season.

Spring colors are a fresh and fun update to the drab, dark colors of winter. While I know it is tempting to pull out every bright, smiley shirt in your wardrobe, you will want to keep your clothes classic and simple for your spring portraits. These photos will be kept for years to come, and classic styling (as the name suggests) is timeless. You want your portraits to showcase you, not your clothing!

I suggest wearing solid, neutral colors, and keeping the colors in a single hue for each outfit. As a rule, I also discourage heavy patterns for portraits, as they shift the focus to what you’re wearing instead of you. A better way to add dimension to your portrait wardrobe is layering – think about a patterned shirt under a solid jacket, or adding a scarf for a punch of color. A neutral-toned outfit with just a pop of color or pattern goes a long way to show off your personality in a portrait.

For groups and family sessions, coordinate your colors for a more unified look. I suggest picking one color – say, green or navy blue – and coordinating your outfits around various shades in that color family. Again, patterns should be kept to a minimum with groups. If you do go with patterns, they should also coordinate throughout the group and be in the same color family. In the spring, neutral earth tones like navy, khaki, and brown pair well with brighter colors like light blue, white, yellow, and even light gray for groups.
I hope that these tips help as you prepare for your spring sessions. As always, if you have more questions, feel free to contact me!