Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mother's Day With Gillian and Cal | Arlington, VA Portrait Photographer

I got to spend Mother's Day with my lovely grandmother, Gillian, and her gorgeous horse, Caledonia (Cal). She makes the 5:00 am, 25-mile trip out to her barn a few times a week to ride Cal. Since I don't know much about riding and caring for horses, she let me tag along on Sunday and document what a typical trip entails. It was fascinating to see the relationship she has built with Cal over the past few years! It was also pretty eye-opening to see all the work that goes into a day of riding. I won't get into details (think: mucking), but riding is definitely NOT the glamorous and elegant sport that it looks like on TV or in the movies! I'm proud to call Gillian my grandmother, and had a wonderful day with her and Cal!

Portrait of Cal, taken just after his shower. I love his cheeky tongue sticking out!

Gillian leading Cal out of the barn.